Metamora Area Youth Development Association
Supporting Youth With Recreation
The Metamora Area Youth Development Association (MAYDA), created by the Metamora Area Chamber of Commerce, is a group of businesses, professionals and community leaders working to build a scholarship program and a sports park complex for the youth of the Metamora area.
The scholarship program consists of awarding two $500.00 scholarships each year. The requirements are:
- graduating from high school with a 2.5 grade point average or above
- enrolled in a college program
- and having an affiliation with the Metamora area.
To apply for a scholarship, click here
To date, we have a balance of over $20,000 in our Scholarship Fund and have awarded $16,000.00 over a sixteen year period.
Discussions of a sports park started many years ago which included a presentation to the Metamora Township Board on April 14, 1997. Much has been accomplished since.
- MAYDA is recognized by the IRS as a public foundation (501c3) formed for the purpose of raising tax deductible funds.
- Through our fund raising efforts, including several benefit auctions, we have accumulated over $154,000.00 for our sports park.
- In 2001, the newly completed Metamora Township Recreation Plan was approved by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and adopted by Metamora Township which allows us to apply for grant funding.
- In Fall of 2008, we made application to the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund to acquire a land to be developed into our sports park.
Our emphasis now is directed toward securing a 40-60 acre parcel to house areas for soccer, baseball , basketball, tennis, track and picnics.
Yes, it is an ambitious goal that will take time and much effort but we are very excited about bringing a first class recreation facility to our community. Your ideas and support would be greatly appreciated.
Please continue to watch for updates and news in the coming months and years, and help provide something special and lasting for many generations to come.